WHO WE ARE:
Pure Carbon is a creative partnership formed by Alex Kentris and Katy Murphy in January of 2014. Our goal is to create original, visceral theatre that deals with strong characters, high stakes and intense emotions; a theatre that supersedes the everyday; a theatre without fear.
ABOUT THE SHOW:
We’re mounting a double bill of two devised physical theatre pieces!
a) La Loca (45 minutes)
Using a combination of text, music and movement, the piece tells the story of Joanna of Castile, a Spanish queen in the sixteenth century, who was deemed mentally ill and forcibly confined for the last 50 years of her life. On the day of her death, the phantoms in her mind take her through her fractured memories, taking on the roles of her family and loved ones, to look back and face her life and reign.
b) Red Winter (45 minutes)
A sensual, visceral and brutal reimagining of the Little Red Riding Hood story. This piece is a devised theatre piece comprised primarily of movement with little to no text, set to Max Richter’s Recomposed Vivaldi.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- 1 female lead (Joanna of Castile)
- 7 chorus members (phantoms, who double as figures from Joanna’s life)
- Performers should be comfortable with poetic text, as well as movement, and be able to generate material based on prompts from the director.
- 1 male lead
- 4 chorus members
- Performers must be comfortable generating their own physical vocabulary based on prompts from the director.
Rehearsal dates: At least twice a week from mid-May through early Aug 2014.
Show dates: Aug 7th – 10th, 2014 (Location to be confirmed)
We are looking for performers from all backgrounds including dancers, devisers, actors and movers. As well as performers of all ages, ethnic backgrounds and experience levels. This job is non-paying, non-equity.
AUDITION DATES & TIMES:
- Sunday April 6th 2:30 – 4:30pm at the Fringe Creation Lab (Neville’s Nook Studio) 720 Bathurst St. 4th Floor.
- Tuesday April 8th 7-9pm at Glad Day Bookshop, 598 Yonge St. 3rd Floor.
- Thursday April 10th 7-9pm at Glad Day Bookshop, 598 Yonge St. 3rd Floor.
Please send your resume and a recent photo to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your audition date/time preference. We will contact you with your time.
All auditionees must prepare:
A 1-2 minute physical piece inspired by one of the following pieces of text.
- Option A: We die, we die rich with lovers and tribes, tastes we have swallowed, bodies we have entered and swum up like rivers, fears we have hidden in, like this wretched cave. I want all this marked in my body.
- Option B: The woods are lovely dark and deep. But I have promises to keep. And miles to go before I sleep. And miles to go before I sleep.
- Option C: Love wounds. There is no love that does not pierce the hands and feet. No love that leaves the lover unmarked.
- Option D: O maidens, demons, monsters – martyrs all, Spirits disdainful of reality, satyrs and seekers of the infinite, with rain of tears or cries of ecstasy.
Additionally, actors and devisers, please prepare a 2-3 minute dramatic monologue from any era that you feel best shows your strengths. Dancers are not required to prepare a monologue.