The Canada Council for the Arts welcomes the appointment by the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages of Simon Brault as its new Director and CEO. Mr. Brault will assume the role on June 26, 2014 for a 5-year term.
“This is excellent news,” said Mr. Joseph L. Rotman, Chair of the Canada Council. “Simon Brault is an exceptional leader with the capacity to give the Canada Council new profile, building on the work and legacy of current Director and CEO Robert Sirman.
“Simon has raised the profile of the arts in his home province of Quebec, across Canada and internationally and is well positioned to lead the Canada Council in remaining responsive to the shifting arts ecology and to changing demographics, technologies and economic developments.
“Simon has been a tireless champion of public engagement in the arts. We believe this is vital to the sustainability of the Canadian arts sector. The Canada Council will benefit from the vision of such a forward-looking and credible individual. Simon’s intellect and creativity will help set a strong course for the Canada Council’s future.”
- Mr. Brault served two consecutive 5-year terms as Vice Chair of the Board of the Canada Council from March 31, 2004 to March 31, 2014.
- Simon Brault has been CEO of the since 1997.
- Mr. Brault is one of the founders of Journées de la culture. He is a founding member and Chair of Culture Montréal, leads the steering committee of Montréal, Cultural Metropolis 2007-2017, and is a member of the International Advisory Board of the Musagetes Foundation.
- In recognition of his many accomplishments, Mr. Brault was made an Officer of the Order of Canada, fellow of the CGA, Officier de l’Ordre national du Québec, and received the 2009 Keith Kelly Award for Cultural Leadership, awarded by the Canadian Conference of the Arts.
- He is the author of Le Facteur C – L’Avenir passe par la culture (published in English as No Culture, No Future).
- As Director and CEO, Simon Brault will be responsible for the Council’s day-to-day operations and its budget of over $191 million.
- Mr. Brault replaces Robert Sirman, who has served as Director and CEO since June 2006. Mr. Sirman’s second term concludes on June 25, 2014.
Canada Council for the Arts
The Canada Council for the Arts is Canada’s national arts funder. Its grants to artists and arts organizations contribute to a vibrant arts scene in Canada. Its awards celebrate creativity by recognizing exceptional Canadians in the arts, humanities and sciences. The Canada Council Art Bank is a national collection of over 17,000 Canadian contemporary artworks – all accessible to the public through rental, loan and outreach programs. The Canadian Commission for UNESCO operates within the Canada Council.