Written by Clare Bayley
Directed by Zachary Florence
Produced by Sabrina A. Bandali for The Container Collective
The Container is an hour-long site-specific play that takes place inside a shipping container to be staged as part of the 2014 SummerWorks Festival. It’s an immersive experience, which creates unique demands for actors and audiences alike.
Travelling across Europe in the confined space of a shipping container, we meet five migrants on the final leg of their journey. The only thing they have in common is their goal: to get to England and start a new life. Over the course of 60 minutes, we see them wrestle with greed and generosity, shepherded by the mysterious Agent who orchestrates their journey.
The Container was originally staged as part of the 2007 Edinburgh Festival Fringe, where it won the Amnesty International Freedom of Expression Award. It was subsequently presented at the Young Vic (London, UK). This SummerWorks production will be the play’s Canadian premiere.
A copy of the script is available at the Toronto Reference Library.
- Submission Deadline: May 7
- Auditions: May 10 & 12
- First Rehearsal: June 16
- Performances: August 7-17, various times (schedule TBD)
As this is a SummerWorks production, actors will be paid through a collective profit share, as per Equity requirements (as applicable).
We are interested in meeting actors of any background who can credibly portray the linguistic and cultural specificity of these characters. Please note the language requirements below.
- Fatima: Somali woman, forties – must speak/learn some Somali
- Asha: Somali woman, fifteen
- Jemal: Turkish Kurd, twenties – must speak/learn some Turkish
- Ahmad: Afghan man, fifties – must speak/learn some Pashto
- Mariam: Afghan woman, twenties, pregnant – must speak/learn some Pashto
- The Agent: Turkish man, at least in his thirties – must speak/learn some Turkish
Equity members cast in this production will be engaged under the CAEA Festival Policy.
To be considered, please email a headshot and bio to email@example.com. Submissions will only be accepted via email.