Dancemakers is launching an open call for three two-week creation residencies for choreographers needing space and time to further their choreographic process. Participants will be selected through an application process. The primary applicant can be an individual, collective or company. The successful artists have a practice that enlivens the current conversation around contemporary performance in any movement-based form.
The three residencies will occur simultaneously as follows:
- One full-time residency in the Main space (54’ x 36’)
- Two part-time shared residencies in the Baker studio (30’ x 30’), one prior to 4pm and one after 4pm
Each residency will provide:
- Studio space as described above with shared greenroom and kitchen
- Ability to leave all belongings in the space for the duration of the residency
- Access to sound system (CD and iPod dock) and Wi-Fi
- Comfortable, air-conditioned, well-lit, clean spaces with sprung floor
The residencies will take place from June 23 to July 6, 2014.
Applicants must be proposing an intensive, rather than casual, usage of the space over the period of the residency. New this year: In order to share the development of the project with the public, Dancemakers is offering an assisted showcase opportunity including a moderated post-performance conversation led by Dancemakers Artistic Director Michael Trent. Dancemakers will provide some technical support for the showcases including access to lighting and limited crew time. Each project is responsible for all design elements where needed but are encouraged to minimize the technical aspects in order to privilege the work’s content and form. The showcase will be shared by all three projects; each artist will be offered up to 20 minutes of presentation time. A small honorarium will be provided to each project.
Applications should include the following:
- Name and contact information of primary applicant including email and phone number
- Artistic Statement from primary applicant (one page maximum)
- List of artists/collaborators who will be involved in the residency
- Statement of intent regarding the work to be undertaken during the residency (one page maximum) and a development history of the project where applicable.
- An indication of which studio you would like to work in
- A sample of the primary applicant’s work submitted online through Vimeo or YouTube.
- Only electronic applications will be accepted at michaelATdancemakers.org
- Hard copy applications will not be considered.
Application deadline is 5pm on Monday, May 12, 2014. Notification of successful applicants will be no later than Friday, May 16, 2014.
Please direct all questions to Michael Trent, Artistic Director, at 416-367-1800 x 31 or michaelATdancemakers.org