As Canada’s national women’s theatre since 1979, Nightwood has launched the careers of many of the leading theatre artists in the country. We’ve built a legacy of artistic excellence – advocating for gender equity in the arts, training emerging female talent and developing and producing a multitude of award winning new Canadian plays by women. Now entering our 35th Season we celebrate the legacy of three and a half decades of producing groundbreaking theatre and promoting women’s place on the local, national and international stage.
The Managing Director is responsible to ensure that programming, production and all revenue generating activities satisfy the financial requirements of the Company. The incumbent will provide direction and guidance to those individuals responsible for operational production and revenue generation. The Managing Director ensures that budgets are developed and achieved, that sponsors and donors are adequately courted and that the day-to-day administration, resources and oversight are managed effectively. The Managing Director shares with the Artistic Director the mandate to envision new and interesting ways to stimulate outreach via festivals, training, fund raising for donors, audience and artists
The Managing Director reports to the Board of Directors.
- participate in the development of strategic plans and ensure execution for the Company;
- ensure that all revenue generating activities meet established targets and are conducted
- according to both governance, mandate and values requirements;ensure that all financial matters are effectively executed and that all established deadlines are adhered to;
- ensure all business development, marketing and program production activities meet the annual business objectives and targets, marketplace is fully explored and developed, and appropriate synergies are maintained;
- support the creative and artistic plan for the season’s programming ensuring all details of production management adhered to according to requisite timing;
- partner with the Artistic Director to ensure that programming, networking and outreach programs
- support the mandate and financial viability of the company;
- direct, mentor, delegate and support the work of the business team to ensure delivery of fundraising, marketing, audience and sponsor development objectives;
- support the networking and relationship management requirements for sponsorship, theatre community and events both artistic and fundraising;
- ensure there is a robust volunteer program in support of the Company’s needs for operations and events, including training, development and engagement of volunteers.
- in partnership with the Artistic Director ensures the effective management and development of people, programming, internal policies and budgets;
- ensure all funding opportunities are explored, evaluated, submissions prepared and submitted to support the financial/operational and project requirements of the Company;
- ensure production budgets and task deadlines are achieved in consultation with Artistic Director
- conduct all negotiations with artists, agents, professional associations, service providers and ensures agreements and contracts effectively executed;
- in consultation with the Artistic Director, hires all external contractors and communicates specific specifications, expectations of delivery requirements;
- ensure all reporting provided to CRA, granting bodies etc. achieving all required deadlines;
- acts as Company contact or representative to all industry associations;
- develop and ensure adherence to all documented policies and practices by staff and contractors;
- ensure all systems, information, tools and processes support the efficient delivery of core
- business and creative requirements;
- ensure all office administration is assigned and resourced effectively;
- attend all Board meetings, collaborate with Board or committees on identified initiatives, provide Board with financial and capital recommendations for approval and strategic and annual operational success metrics and status reporting.
- proven track record of operational and theatre business management
- strong strategic perspective
- strong communications and people management abilities to deal with a wide variety of
- stakeholders and situations
- ability to effectively prioritize opportunities and activities
- project management skills
- strong financial management skills (including budgeting development, tracking, financial statements, return on investment).
- detail-oriented, able to meet deadlines, handle concurrent projects, with a strong track record of fulfilling commitments and meeting deadlines.
- knowledge of laws, regulations and ethical principles relevant to leading a not for profit entity.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants must submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references no later than 5pm on May 8, 2014. Please apply by EMAIL ONLY to the Chair, Nightwood Theatre Board of Directors at the following coordinates: email@example.com re Nightwood Theatre, Hiring Committee: Managing Director.
Interviews will take place between May 15-23 and this full-time position will start in July 2014. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Nightwood Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone enquiries or fax applications please. All applications will be considered confidential.