Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts Announces
VIP presenters for the
35th ANNIVERSARY DORA MAVOR MOORE AWARDS
Monday, June 23, 2014
Toronto, June 17, 2014 – The Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts (TAPA) announced the VIP presenters for the 35th Anniversary Dora Mavor Moore Awards, to be held on Monday, June 23 at at Harbourfront Centre for the very first time.
The award ceremony will be held on the WestJet Stage, a 1,300-seat outdoor concert venue covered by a transparent roof with open sides.
Co-hosted by the hilarious Matt Baram and Naomi Snieckus, founding Co-Artistic Directors of the three-time Canadian Comedy Award-winning The National Theatre of the World, the Dora Mavor Moore Awards celebrate Toronto’s vibrant performing arts scene. Baram and Snieckus wowed the audience last year with their wit and improv chops. On Toronto’s biggest opening night of the year, 48 Dora Awards as well as the Silver Ticket Award and the Audience Choice Award will be handed out in a glittering ceremony honouring theatre, dance and opera artists and productions.
Among the VIP presenters at this year’s awards ceremony are:
- Maja Ardal, Dora Award-winning playwright, director, actor and recipient of the 2002 George Luscombe Award;
- Peter Caldwell, Director and CEO of the Ontario Arts Council;
- Brent Carver, Tony Award-winning actor and star of Broadway and TV;
- Ryan Cunningham, Artistic Director of Native Earth Performing Arts;
- Ben Heppner, legendary opera singer, broadcaster and Companion of the Order of Canada;
- Claire Hopkinson, Director and CEO of the Toronto Arts Council;
- Christopher House, Toronto Dance Theatre Artistic Director, Dora Award winner and 2012 Silver Ticket Award recipient;
- Jon Kaplan, Senior Theatre Writer at NOW Magazine;
- Jeff Madden, Dora Award-winning singer and actor;
- Neil Miller, Chair of the Board of Yonge-Dundas Square;
- Irene Poole, Dora Award-winning actress and star of stage and TV;
- Tina Rasmussen, Director, Performing Arts at Harbourfront Centre;
- Jon Reid, Dance Programmer at Manifesto Festival of Community and Culture and dancer/choreographer;
- Jackie Richardson, Gemini Award and Dora Award-winning singer and actress;
- Julie Tepperman and Aaron Willis, Co-Artistic Directors of Convergence Theatre;
- Astrid Van Wieren, Dora Award-winning actress and star of stage and film.
The Doras are named for Dora Mavor Moore (1888-1979), a well-loved teacher and director who helped establish Canadian professional theatre in the 1930s and 1940s. Recognizing the outstanding achievements in Toronto’s performing arts industry, the Doras honour the creators of over 200 theatre, dance and opera productions annually in the following Divisions: General Theatre, Independent Theatre, Musical Theatre, Dance, Opera and Theatre for Young Audiences.
The Dora Mavor Moore Awards are administered by the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts (TAPA). In addition to the Doras, other programs and services provided by TAPA include: T.O. TIX – Toronto’s Official One Stop Ticket Shop at Yonge-Dundas Square and online at www.totix.ca; Toronto’s Official Theatre Guide; hipTIX, offering $5 tickets to students between the ages of 15 and 29; citySPECIAL; the Commercial Theatre Development Fund; and the Travel Retreat Initiatives Program – TRIP. For more information visit www.tapa.ca and www.totix.ca.
35th ANNIVERSARY DORA MAVOR MOORE AWARDS – Monday June 23, 2014
Toronto’s Theatre, Dance and Opera Awards at Harbourfront Centre, 235 Queens Quay W.
Hosted by Matt Baram and Naomi Snieckus
Written by Chris Earle; Directed by Edward Roy; Musical Direction by Waylen Miki;
Lighting and Production Design by Andrea Lundy; Produced by Jacoba Knaapen.
5:30pm-7pm: Pre-Show VIP Reception at Harbourfront Centre’s Lakeside Terrace.
7:30pm: Dora Mavor Moore Awards Show at Harbourfront Centre’s WestJet Stage.
10:30pm: After-Party at the World Café (beside the lake at Harbourfront Centre).
$75.75 General Admission Tickets (Student/ Senior – $47.50) for Awards Show & After-Party available through Harbourfront Centre Box Office at 416-973-4000 during Box Office hours (Tues-Sat 1pm – 6pm) or book online at http://tickets.harbourfrontcentre.com/calendar/view.aspx?id=23173
$15 After-Party Only Tickets can be purchased only onsite at the event beginning at 10:30pm.
For $165 VIP Tickets (Pre-show VIP Reception, Dora Awards Show, After-Party) email Scott Dermody at firstname.lastname@example.org
For information visit www.tapa.ca