The Royal Conservatory is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, performance training, teacher certification and arts-based social programs. Based in the TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning in downtown Toronto, The Royal Conservatory School offers a variety of group classes and private instruction for people of all ages, levels and artistic interests.
As the leader of an exceptional community School, the Director, Royal Conservatory School (RCS), will possess a unique combination of artistic, administrative and entrepreneurial skills. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of proficiency in the following areas:
- An understanding of and commitment to the standards and content associated with the Royal Conservatory system of music education.
- Program development and planning.
- Faculty, customer service and issues management.
- Marketing, new student recruitment and the development of sustainable, self-funding program activity.
- The Director, Royal Conservatory School, is responsible for all aspects of the delivery of RCS offerings as well as implementing new programs.
- The Director is focused on daily operations and administrative activities; demonstrates an ability to set and meet financial targets, accurately track revenues and expenses, and works closely with both RCS staff and other RCM Divisions to increase sales and motivate clients.
- Vital to the success of this position, is the ability to lead while working collaboratively with others by aligning diverging interests, in support of The Royal Conservatory’s objectives.
- Enthusiastic buy-in and visible support of The RCM’s core values are essential.
- Reporting to the VP, Strategic Initiatives, The Director, Royal Conservatory School is a proven leader with the entrepreneurial skills required to promote teacher and student loyalty, develop efficiencies and increase registrations.
- Work with Development staff to increase donor support for RCS programs.
- RCS Plans and Programs: Oversight, and management of the Royal Conservatory School and implementation and management of approved RCS business plans and programs.
- Standards of Excellence: Ensure that RCS sets and achieves high standards. Develop metrics to measure and report performance against performance targets.
Sales and Customer Service: Develop and manage customer-centered initiatives to retain and increase registration revenues, including but not limited to:
- Provide rigorous quality control mechanisms to ensure an optimum experience.
- Implement and maintain an effective customer service handling process.
- Manage new student referrals, including timely follow-up with faculty and/or students if and as required.
- Support effective communication to ensure that both administrative staff and faculty are appropriately well-informed and inspired to be strong ambassadors for the RCS.
- Leverage technology to improve sales and service related efficiencies.
Administrative Staff and Faculty Management
Manage a team of personnel (both full-time and part-time employees and contractors) responsible for all RCS functions including:
- RCS staff responsible for operations, student recruitment and sales, customer service and academic management.
- RCS faculty responsible for all RCS instruction (private and group classes)
- Financial Management: Develop, recommend and implement operating plans and budgets.
- Oversee and manage operations to meet or exceed RCS contribution objectives.
- 10-15 years leadership and management experience at a senior-level in a related music/arts organization.
- Graduate degree or equivalent.
- Experience in developing and managing music curriculum, standards, examinations and other relevant learning systems.Demonstrated strength in relationship management, strategic planning, operational management against defined objectives, and inspirational leadership.
- Proven operational efficiency skills, with demonstrated success in team building and in achieving results.
- Financially astute – conversant with accounting systems and principles.
- Good conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to manage routine and non-routine service/support issues and resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Well-developed interpersonal and exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate detailed factual information when explaining the various procedures, products and services to staff, faculty and/or students.
- Relationship building with organizational stakeholders (schools, studios, adjudicators, and suppliers)
- Demonstrated strength in project management including the ability to execute with great accuracy
- Ability to work under pressure and thrive working in a fast-paced, constantly evolving, deadline-focused environment.
- A strong sense of personal initiative, attention to detail, a commitment to excellence, and the motivation to exceed expectations
- Service oriented professional who is an outgoing, positive, responsible self-starter willing to take initiative
- Excellent knowledge of various processing systems, as well as PC applications such as MS Excel, Word and Outlook.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter along with a current résumé by August 7, 2014. However, please note that this position may be filled prior to the deadline if a suitable candidate has been identified. Please send applications to:
Human Resources Department
The Royal Conservatory
Toronto, ON M5S 1W2