The Canadian Opera Company invites applications for the part-time, 16-week contract position of Retail Co-ordinator. Reporting directly to the Interim Director of Marketing and the Director of Public Relations, the Retail Co-ordinator is responsible for the co-ordination and development of the COC’s Opera Shop, a volunteer-staffed retail kiosk open during COC performances at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, as well as online sales through coc.ca.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Sourcing, selection and buying of opera-related merchandise, CDs, DVDs, books, giftware, jewellery, accessories and other merchandise suitable for sale to a sophisticated opera audience
- Maintenance of relationships with wholesale and retail suppliers, agencies and independent artists and crafts people
- Co-ordination, training and evaluation of volunteer workers in conjunction with the COC’s Opera Shop volunteer liaisons
- Co-ordination of load-in and -out and set-up of merchandise prior to and following the COC occupation period at the FSC this fall
- Co-ordination and maintenance of an overall high standard of artistic presentation at the Opera Shop including merchandise and point-of-purchase display and way-finding and other signage
- Ongoing inventory management and control
- Overall financial control of retail operations including budgeting, bookkeeping, and invoice payment
- Co-ordination of shipping and receiving and customs brokerage when required
- Updating and maintaining the retail pages at coc.ca and working with COC Ticket Services to optimize the online sales process
- In conjunction with other COC staff members, act as shift manager and assist with kiosk sales for select, but regular shifts during evening and matinee COC performances
- Production of promotional materials in conjunction with the Senior Communications Manager, Creative & Publications
- Other duties as assigned
This is a part-time, 16-week contract position, for August 5 – November 21, 2014. The exact schedule is flexible but will be more heavily concentrated around the COC performance calendar. The anticipated schedule will be 25-30 hours per week.
The ideal candidate will be extremely creative, have a good knowledge and appreciation of opera, retail management and buying experience, excellent people skills, effective financial management capability, a functional knowledge of Microsoft Office, and a flexible schedule with the ability to work some evenings and weekends.
About the Canadian Opera Company
The Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America, producing six mainstage productions and a free concert series in its universally-acclaimed opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts. The COC maintains its international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation by creating new productions within its diverse repertoire, collaborating with leading opera companies and
festivals, and attracting the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC’s opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, is hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. For more information on the COC, visit its award-winning website, coc.ca.
Please submit resume and cover letter including salary expectations by July 23, 2014 to:
The COC thanks in advance all applicants; only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls.