Primary supporter of the Canadian Stage RBC Emerging Artist Program: RBC Foundation
Canadian Stage is pleased to announce a call for submissions for our eighth annual Director Development Program (formerly RBC BASH!). The program will run from September 2014 to July 2015 and will support two stage directors. The deadline for submissions is August 22, 2014. Early submissions are encouraged.
This program is designed for professional stage directors who wish to explore approaches to contemporary performance practice, production, and administration in a national and international context. The program provides directors with the opportunity to explore their work and vision with the support of dynamic perspectives and is ideally suited for directors invested in pushing their practice toward large-scale or main stage work. Artists will spend the 2014.15 season with Canadian Stage, seeing performances and meeting on a regular basis with staff members and guest artists. Participants are granted rehearsal space and resources toward the development of a creative project which will receive a work-in-progress showing at the Berkeley Street Theatre in 2015.
Participation in this program is free, but it requires a substantial time commitment. Applicants should estimate bi-monthly meetings, bi-monthly performances or events, and two weeks of project development including a work-in-progress showing during one of the following time periods: February 8-21, March 7-20, or April 11-24, 2015.
- Receive an honorarium for program participation
- Receive resources toward a creative project in development
- Attend approximately five informational interviews with Canadian Stage staff, plus approximately three meetings with affiliated artists
- Receive access to Canadian Stage’s productions, rehearsals, and events
- Curate one emerging artist session (i.e. a panel discussion or workshop) addressing a topic related to their experience and expertise
- Attend a three-day retreat to reflect on the program, meet with artists, and attend performances
The ideal candidate is:
- A stage director who has at least three years of experience creating and producing performance-based work
- Eager to engage in a vigorous exchange with their fellow director development program participant and members of the artistic community in the examination of large-scale or main stage performance and production practices
- Interested in the work and staging practices of Canadian Stage and the artistic and operational challenges of large theatres
- Toronto-based for the majority of the Canadian Stage 2014.15 season
- Choreographers exploring boundaries between dance and theatrical forms are also encouraged to apply.
nisha ahuja, d’bi.young anitafrika, Gideon Arthurs, Liza Balkan, Laura Bolton, David Brock, Lauren Brotman, Claire Calnan, Anna Chatterton, Lisa Codrington, Ashlie Corcoran, David S. Craig, Melissa D’Agostino, Spy Dénommé-Welch, Alan Dilworth, Chris Dupuis, André du Toit, Waawaate Fobister, Gil Garratt, Karen Gilodo, Jack Grinhaus, Brendan Healy, Reza Jacobs, Ravi Jain, Marcia Johnson, Njo Kong Kie, Moynan King, Scott Lale, Adam Lazarus, Mitchell Marcus, Alistair Newton, Lisa Pijuan-Nomura, Adam Paolozza, John Jack Paterson, Anusree Roy, Katherine Sanders, Adam Seelig, Erin Shields, Rebecca Singh, Kwame Stephens, Kelly Straughan, Jordan Tannahill, Mumbi Tindyebwa Otu, Lindsay C. Walker, Gein Wong, Norman Lup-Man Yeung, Jacob Zimmer
To apply, please submit:
A one page cover letter which addresses:
- An overview of your experience and/or perspective as a stage director
- A brief statement outlining why you would like to be a participant in this program, and how it would impact your practice and/or assist your future artistic endeavours
- An overview of the project you wish to develop with support from Canadian Stage
- Your availability for project development and presentation during the 3 following time periods: Feb 8-21, Mar 7-20, and Apr 11-24, 2015
A one page response to one of the following questions:
- What aspect(s) of a recent performing arts experience impacted your practice? Please be specific.
- What aspects of working on a large scale or a main stage interest you?
- Your CV or biography
Please email your submission in a single PDF or Microsoft Word document to email@example.com no later than 5:00pm on Friday, August 22, 2014. Early submissions are encouraged. Please use the subject line: “Director Development Submission”.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information, please contact Artistic & Company Manager Joanne Williams at 416-367-8243 ext. 245 or firstname.lastname@example.org