Theatre Aurora is currently seeking a talented, creative, and enthusiastic Program Director for the Youth Program and Young Peoples’ for the 2014-2015 season!
Our Youth Group Theatre Program is aimed at introducing youth to the theatre arts aged 10-13 years of age. The participants of the Youth Group are introduced and trained in skills of acting, singing, and movement in an encouraging and inviting environment, working alongside the Program Director. The theatre program culminates in the mounting of a public performance showcase! Participants will emerge from the program not only learning basic theatre skills (artistic and technical) but will perform with greater self-confidence.
Our Young Company Theatre Program is aimed at developing youth who have an interest in theatre, aged 14 – 18 years of age. The participants of the Young Company will train through technique classes in the skills of acting, voice, and movement, in an encouraging and inviting environment, working alongside the Program Director. Our Young Company Theatre Program culminates with the mounting of a public performance of a full play, either original or scripted. Young Company participants will emerge from the program with honed theatre skills (artistic and technical), increased self-confidence, the ability to work with their peers, and a greater engagement with the world around them.
- Provide mentorship, leadership and instruction for teens as program and show director
- Formulate a curriculum for the program in consultation with the Executive Director
- Facilitate a program of acting, movement, voice, and technical theatre workshops
- Direct an original or scripted play for performance at end of program
- Collaborate productively, positively and efficiently with the Stage Manager and technical team
- Assist with overseeing the budget
- Demonstrate leadership and responsibility, hard-work and enthusiasm
- Maintain a professional, highly organized environment and with an attention to detail
- Actively participate in all designated meetings, rehearsals and performances.
- Attend 3-4 production meetings nearing program’s showcase (dates TBA)
- Experience as a stage director in the performing arts
- Relevant experience designing, delivering and leading youth theatre programs
- Experience in teaching youth drama, theatre, youth theatre, production and stage management
- Successful experience in teaching and leading acting, stage and technical aspects of theatre production
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to accept feedback and constructive criticism
Honorarium of $2,250.00 CAD
CONTRACT DATES : Saturdays from October 18, 2014 to May 23, 2015 with a hiatus during Christmas and March Break.
The program runs from 9:00am to 11:30am (Youth Group) & 12:00pm to 3:00pm (Young Company)
At the end of the season the Theatre Aurora Board of Directors, by recommendation from the Executive Director, can extend an invitation to renew the contract for the following season.
HOW TO APPLY
Please forward your cover letter and resume with “Program Director, Youth Program” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Not all applicants will be contacted for an interview. Applications will be accepted up to September 5, 2014.
Applicants will be asked for an outline detailing the curriculum for the proposed program. The curriculum should take into account that some participants will be entering their first year in the program and others will be in their third year.
Proposals should include: suggested rehearsal format, suggestions for workshops related to any/all aspects of theatre discipline, including but not restricted to acting, improv, voice, movement, and audition techniques.
Police Criminal Record Check at candidate’s expense
Theatre Aurora is a member of the Association of Community Theatres – Central Ontario (ACT-CO), and a member of Theatre Ontario. The volunteer organization has received many nominations and awards at the annual ACT-CO festival and has been honoured with an invitation to remount a production for the Theatre Ontario Festival. With a strong mandate for education, especially for young members, Theatre Aurora has two active Youth Programs. Theatre Aurora provides the talent resources, through volunteer members and professionals in the field, to enhance this work.