Nightwood Theatre forges creative alliances among women artists from diverse backgrounds in order to develop and produce innovative Canadian theatre. As Canada’s National Women’s Theatre since 1979, Nightwood has launched the careers of many of the leading theatre artists in the country. We are an established and nationally respected company, with professional leadership (past and current) that has been publicly acclaimed for being mavericks in artistic excellence, gender equity in the arts and the successful training/development of emerging female artists. Now entering our 35th season we remain actively engaged in mentoring young women and promoting women’s place on the local, national and international stage.
Nightwood Theatre is currently seeking a full time Marketing and Development Manager. Reporting directly to, and working in tandem with the Managing Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for the planning, development and implementation of Nightwood Theatre’s development and marketing strategies.
- Develop, implement and manage a detailed marketing and communications plan, including public relations to support a season of 2-3 productions, The Lawyer Show, and other Outreach activities. The primary focus is audience outreach and subscriptions and includes a range of effective vehicles, for example newsletters, blog, website updates, social media, etc.
- Develop a program to ensure audience engagement and support (e.g. talkbacks, and panels, etc.)
- Develop strategies to promote and support the pass holder campaign as well as group sales (including solicitation, attendance/ participation and events planning pre or post show).
- Develop, implement and manage a sustainable fundraising program that will encompass all avenues of fundraising – corporate sponsorships, foundations, individual and monthly giving campaigns, major gifts and donor stewardship (including the provision of tax receipts).
- Ensure that all outgoing materials consistently represent the desired Nightwood look and feel and that all messaging supports and reinforces the mandate.
- Assist in the preparation and timely submission of Annual plans, budgets, activity calendars and manage all program planning and budgets within the areas of responsibility identified and described.
- Identify (where/when/why) and schedule involvement by Nightwood Principals and/or Board members with Sponsors/Donors when appropriate and advantageous.
- Manage the work of potential Contractors and act as mentor to designated interns and volunteers.
- Ability to effectively prioritize opportunities and activities.
- Financial management skills (including budgeting, financial statements, return on investment) and human resource management skills (interpersonal skills).
- Knowledge of data management, record-keeping systems and security procedures and requirements.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), Adobe Photoshop and iMovie, and a solid understanding of HTML is required. Ability to use Mac operating system and working knowledge of Sumac is an asset.
- Detail-oriented, able to meet deadlines and handle concurrent projects, with a strong track record of fulfilling commitments.
- Strong people skills to deal effectively with different stakeholders.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations and ethical principles relevant to this position.
Hours of Work
This is full-time position. There will be requirements to work flex time with evening and weekend work, or as required by the Managing Director.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants must submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references no later than 5pm on Thursday August 28, 2014. Please apply by EMAIL ONLY to Beth Brown, Managing Director at firstname.lastname@example.org re: Marketing and Development Manager.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Nightwood Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.