About Theatre Gargantua
Theatre Gargantua is a Toronto-based company with a 22-year history of making award-winning productions that combine dynamic physicality, evocative live music, innovative designs and provocative text to tell our stories. Our productions have been presented on some of Toronto’s most prestigious stages including the Royal Alexandra Theatre, have toured the UK and headlined the Portland Performing Arts Festival. We develop work over a two-year cycle and will present the first year installment of our new piece Avaricious at Theatre Passe Muraille in November.
Role and Responsibilities
Theatre Gargantua is seeking a committed and talented individual for a paid internship this fall. This position is supported by a training grant for youth under 30 through the Youth Employment Fund. The candidate will work closely with the company’s producer and receive on-the-job training and mentorship.
The Producing Assistant will assist with producing, development and communications work for the upcoming season, specifically:
- Assisting the Producer and Artistic Director across all areas of producing
- Research potential new funding partners – foundations & corporations.
- Assist with preparation and distribution of communication materials.
- Maintaining company database
- Ensuring contract riders are provided for artists
- Assisting with production budgeting / reporting;
- Assisting with marketing and press relations
- Liaison with Board of Directors
- Assisting with donor database management
- Assist with special event planning
- Assist with managing volunteers
- Assist with operation of the production office
- Other administration as required.
This position is ideal for a candidate with knowledge of Toronto’s theatre ecology and who wants to pursue a career in arts management. It is an excellent opportunity to learn and gain experience in the development and production of new theatre, as well as office operations, connecting with the community, and fundraising and development. The successful candidate will have strong writing skills, the ability to plan strategically, think critically and show creative initiative.
Be between 15 and 29 years of age, and currently unemployed or underemployed, and not attending school full-time. Knowledge of the theatre industry and interest in contemporary performance. Strong, clear communication skills. Public relations experience an asset
Computer literacy: familiar with Mac computers, Word, Excel, social media; experience with website maintenance and design software an asset.
This is a full-time contract beginning in September.
Min contract term 30hr/wk for 4 months – TBC based on funding.
Please confirm you are an eligible candidate before applying: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/employmentontario/youthfund/
Please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Tuesday, September 2nd before noon, subject heading: Producing Assistant Internship.
Theatre Gargantua is an equal opportunity employer.
Theatre Gargantua: www.theatregargantua.ca
651 Dufferin St