Contract: October 1, 2014 to March 31, 2015 with possibility for extension/renewal
Wage: $15/hour (30-35 hours/week)
Currently in its 20th season, Clay & Paper Theatre creates, develops and performs multi-disciplinary, community-driven theatrical works using narrative theatre and large-scale puppetry in public spaces for large and diverse audiences. Clay & Paper Theatre produces plays, pageants and parades with the community, grounded in the idea that performance in public space is an act of cultural transformation. Our practice of building, rehearsing, and performing in full public view is an attempt on our part to “bring back the commons,” reunite art with the daily life of the community, and to make art accessible to all.
Clay & Paper Theatre is currently accepting applications for an Administrative/ Production Assistant. S/he will assist and support the General Manager and Artistic Director in the day-to-day operations of the company. The ideal candidate will have excellent administrative, organizational and people skills, and a passion for community-engaged public arts and theatre.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Administrative/ Production Assistant is responsible for supporting, assisting with and managing daily administrative tasks, as well as production-related tasks for our annual and one-off events and performances.
The successful candidate will perform a broad range of activities including, but not limited to:
- Providing administrative support to General Manager and all staff
- Supporting and coordinating production elements of Clay & Paper Theatre’s activities, which include two annual one-day community festivals, a summer show with a 6-week run, community workshops, additional community performances and events
- Coordinating, in consultation with General Manager and Artistic Director, production and workshop needs including: publicity and promotional materials and distribution, outreach and community engagement, media releases, calls for auditions/ artist proposals, sourcing and purchasing materials, scheduling and logistics, volunteers, and assisting where necessary with workshops, rehearsals, and box office/ Front-of-House
- Updating and maintaining Clay & Paper Theatre’s website, social media accounts, newsletter, and information systems, including data entry and filing of documents
- Booking studio rentals and coordinating logistics for groups and organizations renting space
- Grant writing and reporting, fundraising (events, individual giving, researching new funding opportunities)
- Other duties as required to support Clay & Paper Theatre in its activities and operations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills with keen attention to detail
- Ability to process and manage large amounts of information
- Strong computer skills, experienced with Microsoft Office suite
- Highly motivated and responsible
- Self-directed worker able to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of staff, volunteers, and community members to meet or exceed their expectations
- Positive and helpful outlook, flexible and adaptable to changing working conditions and situations; ability to work in a creative and sometimes hectic work environment
- Openness and willingness to learn and contribute
- Experience working in the arts and/ or not-for-profit sector an asset
- Degree, diploma or certificate in Arts Administration, Theatre Production, or equivalent work and/ or educational experience
- Marketing and publicity/ promotions experience an asset
- Experience with bookkeeping and Simply Accounting software an asset
- IT competency, including website maintenance an asset
- Experience with communications and social media an asset
- Experience with volunteer coordination an asset
Open to those of Aboriginal, Metis or Inuit ancestry as per position funding requirements. Successful candidates must be eligible for Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training funding. The position is subject to government funding.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com . Please put ADMINISTRATIVE/ PRODUCTION ASSISTANT APPLICATION in the subject line. Clay & Paper Theatre encourages applications from people of diverse backgrounds. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.