Situated in one of the world’s most beautiful natural locations – the Rocky Mountains in Western Canada – The Banff Centre is the largest international arts and creativity incubator. From across Canada and around the world 7,000 artists, leaders, and researchers participate in programs at The Banff Centre every year. Every day new art and new ideas are born here.
Started in 1933 with a single course in drama, The Banff Centre continues its role in the 21st century as a catalyst for creativity. A globally respected arts, cultural, and educational institution and conference facility, The Banff Centre is a leader in the creation of original art and innovative leadership approaches across disciplines and sectors. The Banff Centre is also a major convenor of international conferences and summits.
The President of The Banff Centre will inspire the Board, staff, stakeholders and the public to ensure that the organization continues to be a home for excellence, innovation and creativity, and has the financial and operational capacity to fully support its mission today and in the future. The President’s major role, working with the Board, will be to refine, operationalize, and advance the strategic plan, develop and implement fundraising to carry out this strategy, and make The Banff Centre’s exciting and visionary plans come to life over the coming years. By providing the strategic leadership for The Banff Centre, the President will drive the Centre to become an even more effective, productive and recognized key player in creativity across the arts and leadership in Alberta, Canada and internationally.
In working with the Board to clarify, periodically update, and advance the strategic vision for The Banff Centre the President will provide leadership under the following areas:
- Provide guidance to the staff and accountability to the Board on the content, quality and format of programs offered, to ensure The Banff Centre is recognized as an institution that offers exceptional programs across a wide range of disciplines and sectors to highly talented individuals from around the world.
- Develop collaborative working relationships with appropriate arts and leadership organizations both within Canada and world-wide to ensure The Banff Centre’s leadership position in its defined sectors.
- Continue to strengthen and focus The Banff Centre brand, locally, nationally and internationally through traditional and digital platforms; review, adjust and oversee the development of marketing plans as required to ensure alignment with the strategic vision
Effective Management / Leadership
- Ensure the highest possible skills and performance of staff at The Banff Centre. Work with senior management team to develop them, supervise, recruit and motivate, delegate as required; hold individuals accountable for specific and collective performance; maintain morale and provide direction; and continue focus on diversity. Continually evaluate performance, guide human resource planning, and improve organizational effectiveness.
- Chair the Executive Officers group and the internal, senior management Leadership Council.
- Recommend and develop policies and strategies to ensure The Banff Centre continues to grow in a sustainable manner while continuing to strive for excellence in support of its mission.
- Nurture and maintain relationships and/or partnerships with persons and organizations that are important to the Centre, including national and provincial government personnel, the local mayor and town council, Banff National Park officials, etc.
- Maintain a collegial working relationship with the head of the local support staff union.
Financial health of the Banff Centre will result from a combination of earned revenue and creative and aggressive fundraising. Continuing to build a strong team internally and excellent relationships with external stakeholders including government sponsors at the municipal, provincial and federal level are essential.
- Develop a plan and build the team for fundraising to support the vision.
- Serve as an enthusiastic and highly visible ambassador and fundraiser for The Banff Centre.
- Play a pivotal role in developing donor relationships and securing campaign gifts. Work with all supporting communities, including private donors and government representatives.
- Be creative and entrepreneurial in pursuit of additional earned income opportunities.
- Frequently host important evening and weekend donor events in the President’s house in Banff and elsewhere.
- A minimum of ten years of senior leadership experience, with a track record of success leading a complex organization with a wide range of stakeholders, in an institution or company known for quality and excellence.
- An impeccable reputation for integrity, and widely recognized for strong, creative leadership.
- A profound understanding of arts and culture and its importance to society, with a wide range and knowledge of arts, and multi-disciplinary experience.
- International knowledge and experience in the arts.
- Intellectual curiosity and a broad knowledge and awareness of current economic, political, and social forces and issues.
- A goal-oriented pacesetter with a demonstrated ability to create momentum in pursuit of institutional objectives.
- A track record in building funding relationships with both institutions and individuals, experience in leading a significant and successful capital campaign, and a history of sound fiscal management.
- A proven ability to work with Government regarding funding, support and policy change.
- Experience in management of building/rebuilding facilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with outstanding social skills.
- Experience in guiding, engaging and supporting senior leaders.
- Demonstrated understanding of how technology and emerging digital platforms can play a key role in the dissemination of arts and culture to the world and how they can enhance the service of programs and conferences at The Banff Centre.
- A university or post-graduate degree.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity and diversity, and proven ability to deal effectively with a diverse population.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
How to Apply
A competitive compensation package including base salary, benefits and a house will be provided. Please apply with your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by September 30, 2014.
We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.