Alumnae Theatre Company invites non-union directors to apply to direct one of the 15 plays (running time 10 to 40 minutes) to be produced at the New Ideas Festival (NIF) 2015, our 27th annual three-week juried festival of new plays, works-in-progress, and experimental theatre to be held from March 11 to 29, 2015.
- Stage managers, technical crew, and front of house staff
- Open auditions presenting a large pool of actors
- Rehearsal space, performance space
- Promotional materials and publicity
- Access to Alumnae Theatre’s wardrobe, props, and sets
- A collaborative process with the playwright to continue developing a new work with actors and a dramaturg (if requested)
- A supportive place for directors to experiment and hone their skills
- Production guidelines and mentorship that get all the plays & dozens of performers successfully from audition to rehearsal to stage.
- Fri. Oct. 10, 2014: Deadline to apply to direct one of the New Ideas Festival plays.
- Sat. Nov. 8, 2014: (MANDATORY) Creative Exchange: directors meet playwrights.
- Dec. 2, 3, 4, or 5, 2014: (MANDATORY) Attend your play’s cold reading on one of these dates.
- Jan 3-7, 2015: (MANDATORY) Selected directors attend relevant group auditions for the Festival.
- Feb. 1, 2015: Rehearsals begin.
- Wed. March 11 – Sun. March 29, 2015: New Ideas Festival. Each show runs one week.
New Ideas Festival does not pay fees, royalties, or a box office share to participants. Alumnae Theatre Company retains creative discretion over the festival as a whole. The focus of the festival is script development, and thus technical requirements of the plays are kept to a minimum. NIF is an exciting opportunity to work one-on-one with a playwright to develop a new work.
If you are interested in directing a play in the Festival, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by Oct 10, 2014. Please make the subject line “Director Application (your name)” and provide a directing CV or paragraph description of your experience. You will receive further details once you have submitted your application.
As our industry has far fewer female directors, women directors are especially encouraged to apply.