Shakespeare in Action is Ontario’s Leading Shakespeare Education Company for Young Audiences since 1988. We are dedicated to fostering literacy, enhancing creativity and promoting speech arts by making the language and stories of Shakespeare relevant to young audiences.
October 2014- June 2015
Reporting to The Board of Directors and the Artistic Director, the Interim General Manager will lead our administrative, educational and fundraising strategies for a period of 9 months.
We are looking for a highly organized, motivated individual with a passion for classical theatre and youth. Candidates should have expansive knowledge of Canadian Theatre and theatre in education specifically, with exceptional written and oral communication skills, acuity in financial management, experience in managing staff and volunteers and a strong track record in fundraising.
Working closely with the Artistic Director, the Interim General Manager will:
- Write grants, foundation asks and corporate sponsorship pitches.
- Coordinate our unique fundraising events.
- Manage and support key and contract staff.
- Supervise and mentor our team of outstanding interns and volunteers.
- Liaise with stakeholders including the TAPA, PACT, Toronto District School Board, Toronto Public Library and Central Toronto Academy to deliver programs and nurture the company’s strategic growth.
- Liaise with the CAEA to ensure Equity compliance.
- Coordinate the company’s marketing and outreach strategies to build new audience
- Participate in creative planning, and
- Manage development of the Board of Directors.
The successful applicant will have:
- A post-secondary degree in a relevant field, with a minimum of 5 years experience in arts administration, preferably management.
- Superior written and oral communication skills, with experience in writing copy for grants, fundraising and marketing.
- Working knowledge of the CTA.
- Experience in recruiting and supervising staff, contract employees and volunteers.
- Experiencing in successfully managing fundraising events.
- The ability to work flexible hours
- A deep commitment to theatre for young audiences, and
- Patience and a sense of humour!
Desirable skills include:
- Proficiency in photoshop, in-design and illustrator, with experience in designing marketing materials.
- Experience working in an educational or school setting.
- Conversational French is an advantage, but not essential.
Shakespeare in Action is an equal opportunity employer, with a deep commitment to reflecting the vibrant cultural diversity of our city in our creative and administrative team.
- Applicants are asked to please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled