Organization: Toronto Dance Theatre
Application Deadline: October 14, 2014
Position: Marketing and Communications Manager – Maternity Leave Contract
Term: 8-month contract
Location: Toronto – Cabbagetown
Start Date: December 17, 2014
Toronto Dance Theatre (TDT) is seeking a Marketing and Communications Manager to join its administrative team. This is a full-time position during an eight-month Maternity Leave.
TDT is one of Canada’s leading contemporary dance companies, recognized for the intelligent, provocative vision of its choreography and the exceptional artistry of its dancers. Founded in 1968 by Peter Randazzo, Patricia Beatty and David Earle, and under the artistic direction of Christopher House since 1994, Toronto Dance Theatre has produced a remarkable body of original Canadian choreography and has had– and continues to have– a profound influence on the development of dance in Canada. The company performs annually at Toronto’s Harbourfront Centre and at the company’s own Winchester Street Theatre in Cabbagetown, where it shares its home with the affiliated School of Toronto Dance Theatre. The company maintains a regular presence from coast to coast in Canada, and has toured extensively in the USA, Europe and Asia.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director, the Marketing and Communications Manager is engaged in all aspects of the company’s marketing, publicity and outreach efforts.
Responsibilities – Marketing
- Participate in the planning and implementation of all marketing and publicity campaigns
- Assist in the production of all marketing and publicity tools, including brochures, flyers, posters, newsletters, ads, media releases, and performance programs
- Coordinate the dissemination of all marketing materials (mailings, postering etc.) and prepare all lobby displays
- Promote TDT across all social media outlets, such as Facebook and YouTube
- Report on tickets sales and ongoing marketing expenses
- Produce and maintain a comprehensive and up-to-date catalogue of marketing materials including photos, videos, reviews, biographies and repertory information
- Create press kits and DVDs for promotional uses
- Maintain and grow the database, targeting groups and initiating promotions
- Coordinate the ticketing system at the Winchester Street Theatre
- Track and document accurate attendance numbers for grants and other reports
- Maintain an up-to-date website
- Assist in tour marketing and media relations
- Coordinate the annual TDT audition
- Coordinate and facilitate Front of House, box office, merchandise and concessions for TDT performances, and other TDT sponsored events.
- Liaise with technical support and suppliers in order to maintain efficient office equipment and provide office management support as required
Responsibilities – Outreach
- Develop annual and long-term outreach and education strategies which take into account educational trends and potential interest in TDT activity
- Develop and implement group marketing campaigns for school, senior and other groups
- Produce all outreach and education marketing and informational materials that assist new audience members to understand and appreciate TDT’s work, including the Educators Workbook and DVD
- Assist in the creation and implementation of activities that develop new audiences
- Analyze and report on the financial and audience development results of all outreach and education activities
- Initiate outreach and education activities in the Cabbagetown community, and seek opportunities to expand TDT’s profile and involvement in our neighbourhood
- A college or university degree and/or at least five years of marketing experience in an arts organization
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- The ability to work independently
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle competing priorities in a small, fast-paced work environment
- Proficiency with the Abobe Suite of programs, specifically InDesign and Photoshop, in addition to Microsoft Office suite (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Familiarity with WordPress is an asset.
- The ability to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Knowledge of contemporary dance and a familiarity with video editing and Final Cut Express are definite assets.
Send a cover letter (separate from email, please) and resume by email with the subject line “Marketing and Communications Manager Search” no later than October 14, 2014 to:
Andrea Vagianos, Managing Director
Toronto Dance Theatre
80 Winchester Street
Toronto, On M4X 1B2
We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.