Tafelmusik, “one of the top baroque orchestras in the world, exemplary in every way” (Gramophone), is seeking a highly experienced and dynamic Managing Director.
Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra, founded in 1979, is recognized as one of the leading baroque orchestras in the world. The orchestra presents over 100 concerts annually, including 50 concerts each year in Toronto at the recently renovated Trinity-St. Paul’s Centre, Koerner Hall and George Weston Recital Hall. Tafelmusik is the orchestra-in-residence for Opera Atelier, its
primary artistic collaborator in Toronto.
As one of Canada’s foremost cultural ambassadors, Tafelmusik’s core artistic mandate is realized through new and renewed invitations to prestigious Canadian and international concert halls. The orchestra has performed in over 350 cities in the world, and undertakes approximately five tours annually performing in venues from Vienna’s Musikverein to Beijing’s Forbidden City Concert Hall. The orchestra’s multi-platform recording label Tafelmusik Media was launched in January 2012, along with the Watch and Listen site, Tafelmusik‘s digital concert hall. Tafelmusik has a rich discography of more than 80 CDs and DVDs recorded on the Sony Classical, CBC Records, Analekta and Tafelmusik Media labels. Tafelmusik is the Baroque Orchestra-in-Residence at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Music, and operates its annual artist training programmes, Tafelmusik Baroque Summer Institute and Tafelmusik Winter Institute. The Tafelmusik Chamber Choir, under the direction of Ivars Taurins, was formed in 1981 to complement the Orchestra.
The excellence of Tafelmusik extends well beyond its artistic reputation. It is recognized for its sage board governance; sound entrepreneurial management and financial accomplishment. It receives its top ratings in the Canada Council for the Arts and Ontario Arts Council grant competitions for both artistic and managerial excellence. Tafelmusik has a $5.1 MM operating
budget; a $5 MM endowment; $800,000 in balance sheet funds; and recently completed a $3.2 MM capital campaign for its home venue renovations. Tafelmusik is deficit-free and recently celebrated its 14th successive budget surplus.
Tafelmusik is celebrating a visionary and ambitious time in its history. Building on its local and international successes, the Managing Director (MD) reports to the Board and collaborates with the Music Director, senior staff and volunteers to create and implement a strategic vision for the organization. The Managing Director leads, inspires, and mentors a top-flight and devoted staff team and actively defines a culture of philanthropy that supports key artistic and organizational priorities. He/she serves as a major ambassador for Tafelmusik, fostering relationships and goodwill with current and potential partners and stakeholders. The MD works closely with the Board of Directors, philanthropic, community and business leaders to garner
support for and engagement in Tafelmusik. The Managing Director works in partnership with the musicians to secure the funding and collaborators which enable the creation of special artistic projects.
Tafelmusik enjoys a collaborative planning and working environment. The Managing Director manages a full-time staff of 12 as well as contract personnel, and is the team leader responsible for all non-artistic operational aspects of the organization including:
- strategic and operational planning
- business development
- financial and operational management
- marketing and audience development
- successive budget surplus
- federal/provincial/municipal government funding
- international and national touring engagements
- recording label management
- video recording
- union contract negotiations
- local/national/international partnerships
- capital project management
The Managing Director secures third-party engagements in addition to Tafelmusik’s main-stage season, in partnership with its tour agents and the Director of Artistic Administration and Operations. He/she is responsible for securing all government operating, touring, project and capital grants.
- At least ten (10) years’ senior management experience with an excellent fiscal track record.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for baroque and classical music.
- Business and revenue development experience.
- International touring experience and ability to open new doors for touring.
- Knowledge of audience development practices, and the digital and social media environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, musicians and Board members and has capability to motivate, lead, set strategic and operational objectives and manage high performance of a staff team.
- Ability to foster an environment of creativity and professional growth, and create a supportive and nurturing environment for the musicians.
- Ability to build the profile and be a senior ambassador/advocate for Tafelmusik.
- Effective inspirational communicator.
- Well organized, with demonstrated ability to multitask in a high volume environment.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends at performances, tours and donor/arts industry events.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Music Director Search:
Jeanne Lamon, Music Director, has expertly led Tafelmusik since 1981, and recently stepped down following more than three decades of outstanding artistic leadership. During the search for her successor, Ms. Lamon is Tafelmusik’s Chief Artistic Advisor responsible for all artistic decision-making in the 2014/15 and 2015/16 seasons. The new Music Director will commence his/her duties in the 2016/17 season. The new Managing Director will participate on the Music Director Search Committee.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a resume with a list of references and salary expectations to:
Dory Vanderhoof, Senior Partner
GENOVESE VANDERHOOF & ASSOCIATES
77 Carlton Street, Suite 1103
Toronto ON M5B 2J7