Ale House Theatre Co. is accepting submissions for its upcoming production of The Tragedie of Othello, the Moore of Venice. (April 2015).
Deadline to submit: December 15, 2014
Audition date: December 17 and 18, 2014
Please come prepared with one Shakespearean monologue of your choice. You will also be given sides ahead of time. Please work on making the sides your own and don’t stress about memorizing them. Our first pass of them will be at a table.
Ale House Theatre Co. encourages submissions from actors of all cultural backgrounds, shapes, and sizes. Also, please consider the age given as the age of the character and not necessarily the actor.
We are accepting submissions for the following roles:
- OTHELLO (Male, 30-50+): The Moor of Venice. A well respected and admired general with a coloured past and a silver tongue. It is unclear exactly where he was born. The text strongly supports several different arguments. We are looking for a strong actor who could play anywhere from Central Africa to N. Africa and what we now call the Middle East.
- BRABANTIO (Male, Caucasian, 50+): A powerful senator of Venice. His daughter, Desdemona, elopes with Othello. This actor will also play Brabantio’s kinsman, LODOVICO.
- THE DUKE / MONTANO (Male, any ethnicity, 30-50+): Each leaders of a state and admirers of Othello. Duke may be comical and somewhat meek.
- EMILIA (Female, any ethnicity, 25-40): Married to (and mistreated by) Iago. Attendant to Desdemona. Worldly-wise.
- BIANCA (Female, any ethnicity, 15-25): Prostitute of Cyprus. Dotes on Cassio.
This production will be under a collective agreement. Union and Non-Union actors welcome.
Please submit a brief cover letter, headshot, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org