Position: Technical Director
Status: Full time, 40 hours per week
Canadian Stage is seeking candidates for the position of Technical Director. This is a full time, continuing position in the Production Department.
The Technical Director (TD) is a member of the Production Department and reports to the Director of Production. The TD is responsible for the technical elements, schedules, and
budgets of Canadian Stage’s productions and presentations. The TD supervises the work
of the Assistant Technical Director and, in collaboration with the Production Co-ordinator,
is responsible for the daily operation of the Production Department and the productions,
presentations, and related activities of Canadian Stage (CS).
- Reports to the Director of Production
- Other members of the Production Department
- Other Canadian Stage departments
- The creative and production teams of productions and presentations
- External organizations such as Berkeley Street Partners, renters, suppliers, etc.
- Oversees completion of all technical elements of productions to Canadian Stage’s and
- Manages staff in all technical areas and venues.
- Oversees the work of outside contractors, shops, and suppliers.
- Manages budgets for technical areas in consultation with the Director of Production.
- Manages scenic bid process.
- Oversees season schedule for technical areas.
- Expedites productions within scheduled deadlines.
- Hires crew in consultation with the Director of Production.
- Communicates with designers, directors, and stage management as necessary for
troubleshooting and production continuity.
- Acts as a liaison with stage management for production notes, and for the smooth
transition of set from shops to technical rehearsal.
- Analyses and fulfills technical riders for shows presented by Canadian Stage.
- Supervise the successful and timely load in and out of productions and presentations at
Canadian Stage’s venues.
- Creates and maintains technical documentation, CAD drawings, and other records as
necessary for each production or presentation.
- Ensures compliance with Occupational Health and Safety regulations within areas under
the supervision of the Production Department.
- Maintains a production quality of the highest standard.
- Evening and weekend work is required for this position.
- Liaise and work with the Rental and Partner Companies to fulfill their technical needs.
- Create and modify CAD drawings.
- Analyzes scripts for all technical elements.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Production.
- Minimum of eight years professional experience as a Technical Director.
- Minimum of three years professional experience supervising in a unionized stage
- Knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage, both materials and
techniques, including welding, rigging and painting.
- Knowledge of hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical systems.
- Thorough knowledge of lighting, sound, and video.
- Knowledge of QLAB.
- Working knowledge of current safety standards and the implementation of same.
- Product, material, pricing, and logistics research skills.
- Experience fulfilling technical and touring riders and/or touring of productions.
- Experience with a variety of types of live performance including theatre, dance, and
- Ability to read and produce technical drawings and schematics.
- Knowledge and practical experience using VectorWorks.
- Knowledge and practical experience using Microsoft Office.
- Strong personnel, scheduling, and budgetary management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight
deadlines and a positive attitude while working under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, creativity, a collaborative spirit, and
the cultural sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists,
producers, creative, and management teams.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Full-time, year-round
- Competitive salary
- Excellent benefit package
Submit a cover letter and resume by email to Allan Ross, Director of Production at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Application for Technical Director in the subject
We are grateful to all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Founded in 1987, Canadian Stage is one of the country’s leading not-for-profit contemporary theatre companies, with the 2014.2015 season marking the organization’s 27th season. Led by Artistic & General Director Matthew Jocelyn and Managing Director Su Hutchinson, Canadian Stage produces and showcases innovative theatre from Canada and around the world, allowing its audience to encounter daring work guided by a strong directorial vision and a 21st-century aesthetic. The company prides itself on presenting multidisciplinary pieces and work in translation that pushes the boundaries of form and style. Canadian Stage reinforces the presence of Canadian art and artists within an international context through work that mirrors
the cultural diversity of Toronto. The company stages an annual season of work at three major
venues (the Bluma Appel Theatre, the Berkeley Street Theatre and the High Park Amphitheatre)
and runs a series of artist development and education initiatives, as well as youth and
community outreach programs. For more information, visit http://www.canadianstage.com.