b current seeks a dedicated arts administration professional to work with the Artistic Team (Artistic Director and Artistic Producer) to support the smooth operations of this 24 year old company. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the part-time General Manager will be accountable for all operational functions, specifically legal, human resources, and financial management and administration. This is a one-year, renewable contract with approximate hours of 8-10 per week.
The primary responsibilities of this contract position are:
Supervision of all financial matters, transactions and reports, including:
- Supervision of the contract Bookkeeper, ensuring ongoing financial administration and controls are maintained and all required reporting is accurate and up to date (including bank reconciliations, HST reporting, etc)
- Preparation of regular financial reports for the Board of Directors
- Work with the Bookkeeper and Accountant in preparation of annual audit and financial statements and required charitable reporting
- Jointly with the Artistic Team, developing annual budgets for presentation and approval by the Board of Directors
Administrative functions including:
- Working with the Artistic Team, execution of business plans and critical paths for each fiscal year
- Working with the Artistic Team to prepare grant applications for all funding bodies
- Management of all human resources policies, documentation, contracts, records, including required filings and reporting (e.g. payroll deductions, Records of Employment, Employer Health tax, T4/T4As)
- Act as liaison to Board of Directors regarding the business affairs of b current and administrative support to the Board Recommending
- Implementing procedural changes to improve the financial and administrative health of the company
- Office management including equipment, telephone and landlord liaison
The ideal candidate is an arts professional with strong understanding of the professional theatre community and a minimum of 7-10 years in theatre or arts management with specific skills and experiences including:
- Financial management (budgeting, reporting, record-keeping and cash flow management)
- Human resources (staff, volunteers and working with a Board of Directors)
- Public sector funding (applications and reporting)
- Experience in events or theatre producing in the non-profit sector
- Stakeholder relations including funder, audience and donor relations
- An understanding of or experience in marketing and audience development
- Private sector fundraising including plan development
- Experience in office management and infrastructure from IT through administrative systems and a strong comfort and familiarity with technology
- High professional standards with acute attention to details
About b current:
For 24 years, b current has produced outside of the box performance pieces, ideas, workshops, and mainstage productions. Now with a new leadership team in place, we look forward to a special 25th Anniversary Season in 2016 and the next 25 years beyond that! We splashed onto the scene in 1991, when ahdri zhina mandiela founded the company, and we brought to Toronto the first ever production of a Dub Theatre script, mandiela’s dark diaspora… in dub. The kinetic artistic energy from this fueled our pioneer work feeding and shaping the future of Canadian performance art through culturally-rooted creation. Since inception, b current has developed scores of internationally celebrated artists and their works, with a focus always on engaging the community and creating space for diverse voices to be heard.
b current runs programs for artists, and arts workers, young people, educators and learners, audiences, and general community. Work happens in our Studio/Office at the Artscape Wychwood Barns in midtown Toronto, in theatres around the city, schools and classrooms, community centres, apartment buildings, libraries, other work spaces, clubs, and parks.
Our focus is developing and producing theatre, plus supporting the artists and creators; but we also integrate many other artistic disciplines in the performance art we generate and present. So in any given project you may find musicians, visual artists, filmmakers, and dancers participating and contributing to how we tell stories.
b current is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications: Please send resume with cover letter in pdf format via email to email@example.com
Deadline for applications: Wednesday December 31, 2014 at 5pm
All applications will be treated in confidence. No telephone inquiries please.